Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Saturday, May 29, 2010

A good start to a fun weekend... turned bad!

This is will be as brief as possible.

Last night we got a babysitter so Darren and I , and Kyle and Ang could ride our road bikes the entire Alpine Loop. This means about 20 miles of up hill and 20 miles of down hill. About 10 of those miles are very tough up hill, and 1o miles are very fun (fast) downhill.

It was a nice overcast, cool day. But it was very windy. Very windy in some parts.

Coming down American Fork Canyon, just finishing mile 30. Darren and Kyle in front ... a huge gust of wind knocked Kyle off his bike. He hit head first which knocked him out. Then as Newtons law of motion goes, a thing in motion will continue in motion until.... So Kyle continued in motion skidding with his head and hip along the pavement.

He was going about 30 mph on his bike. His clothes, HIS HELMET, his entire left side of his body is pretty well in pieces. Darren had to slam on his brakes and swirve so as to not crash on top of him. Next was Ang coming around the corner, noticing the police, the cars stopped, squinting to see bikes on the side of the road, squinting harder to see whose husband was down. Then being by Kyles side calmly --unlike me who would have been crying and shaking and a mess.

He was sort of all there, He did tell Darren he was Ted Nuggent... which I guess was supposed to be a joke! ... then seconds later he says, so how long have I been out... so he wasn't all there!

Ambulance, firetruck and police all there fast. Took Kyle to the ER.

He is ok for the most part (his bike is ... ok?... too- which was one of his first questions when he came to) They couldn't get stitches in his forehead, but man, I am sure glad that helmet did its job or life would have been bad. They bandaged him up, his head, his shoulder and a big number on his hip.

So Kyle will wake up this morning hurting. Darren and I woke up a bit sore from the 40 mile ride but we wont complain. We are just grateful Kyle is ok, and Ang showed me being calm and put together is a whole better than letting your emotions go crazy in a bad situation!

Beautiful ride beside the ending! Lets hope the rest of the weekend goes smoothly!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Oh my goodness! So scary. I'm glad it is nothing life threatening. Thankgoodness for helmets.

Rachel said...

oh dear... scary situation. hope that kyle heals well. be careful out there!

PamNoyes said...

YIKES! I am so glad everyone is ok! Poor Kyle I can't imagine how lousy he must feel. I don't know about you but as I get older I think it hurts more to heal!

Clark Family said...

Oh! whew! That is your eventful weekends!