Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Sunday, June 6, 2010

freezer meals for my sister

I love freezer meals- I have been working on collecting recipes for some time. I have a couple good ones. but just found this website which I love to follow.

http://www.freezerdinner.com/

Her recipe for frozen pizzas is on my to do list!

http://www.freezerdinner.com/recipes/making-frozen-pizza/

I will buy her book!

anyway- here are two easy freezer recipes. Like when you know for 9 months your going to be having a baby... freeze some meals. If your making dinner, double it and freeze it... (if it will freeze well)

Recipes!... (Neti quit reading now!)

Super easy lasagna
1/2 pound ground beef cooked(or how ever much you like)
1-2 big cans of spaghetti sauce
2 small cartons of cottage cheese (if you want to add an egg and some parmesan cheese to the cottage cheese - thats great)
1/2 tsp oregano
lasagna noodles- UNCOOKED
cheese- mozzarella, whatever

1. Mix ground beef, sauce and oregano.
2. Put a little sauce on bottom of pan
3. Place uncooked noodles on next
4. Put meat mixture on next- followed by cottage cheese (plain or with the added egg and parmesan cheese, then top with cheese/mozzarella sprinkled on top
5. REPEAT- until you have your casserole dish full

I LOVE TO DO THIS IN BREAD TINS SOMETIMES. THAT GIVES ME 3-4 LASAGNA IN MY FREEZER. That way I have a meal on hand if I have to take one to someone or give to someone who helped me out. But 8 x8 or 9x 9's work great too. Plus I hate to have too much leftover lasagna... Nobody can eat a full 9 x13 pan of lasagna and still love it can they!

6. Write on aluminum foil- lasagna, the date, and cook at 375 for 1-1.5 hours- depending on how big your dish you put it in. You can let it thaw a bit before cooking it but not too much because the noodles will absorb too much water and get soggy. I uncover it for the last 10 minutes to help it brown on top.

NEXT RECIPE
This is also very easy.

Chicken Enchiladas
I don't assemble these until I am ready to actually cook them. I combine all the ingredients and freeze it in a ziplock bag. You can add whatever you like from this recipe, and leave out what doesn't sound good like... olives, chilies, onions, beans..etc....

Chicken cooked and cubed- we don't like lots of chicken so just add how much your family likes
1/2 pint sour cream
1 can chopped green chilies
1 can sliced olives
1 can of white beans rinsed
2 cans of cream of chicken
4 green onions chopped
1/4 cup milk

cheese grated
10 floor tortillas
cooked rice

I combine all the ingredients but the rice and cheese. Freeze.

When ready to cook, you can heat up the "goods" or just let it thaw. I cook rice (some times frozen rice gets too soggy for me). Lay tortillas on the counter, sprinkle each with cooked rice and spread out the enchiladas stuffing on each one. Sprinkle with cheese and warm in oven.


Hope that baby comes soon- but not too soon. Get some meals in your freezer first!

2 comments:

Tina said...

For a second I thought you were announcing that you are pregnant. Then I read the title of the post and I'm guessing your sister-in-law (Neti?) is pregnant?

These sound like great recipes. I'm going to have to try them out. :)

J, K, L, and D said...

These are a great idea - thanks! As soon as I get over the morning sickness hump, I'll have to try this.