Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sister Seely's Chicken Noodle Soup

We have been making this recipe for a few years.  Our neighbor has been sharing it with even before that.  It is by far the easiest and best chicken noodle soup I have ever had.  My kids adore it.

It is not very often I measure the liquid... but these are my best estimates and a good place to start.

Cook chicken... how ever you like to cook chicken.  I then shred it up and set it aside.

Start with 4 cups chicken broth.  (bullion, stock, whatever).  Add in carrots, onions, and celery.  I usually have some kind of pureed squash in my freezer.  Spaghetti squash, zucchini, etc... I usually add in a bit of that, to get some extra nutrients.  Bring to a boil and add in homemade egg noodles.

To make homemade egg noodles mix 2 eggs (I like lots of noodles so I double this) with a dash of salt and enough flour (white, wheat or mix...) till the dough is stiff and not sticky.  Roll it out and then use a pizza cutter to cut it into strips.  The noodles will grow bigger and wider in the pot so I cut them small and thin.. Or tiny bite sized for my little kids to eat.  But big long noodles are fun too.

Add noodles slowly to pot of boiling liquid.  Then turn it down and let it simmer for 45-1 hour.  Leave the lid on.  The noodles will get really juicy.  and absorb lots of liquid.  The last 10 minutes you can add several things.  (If you need to add more chicken bullion, go ahead.)

1. Regular store bought egg noodles so you have lots of noodles
2. add your chicken
3. add 4-8 oz of cream cheese.... We didn't do this at first, but it makes the soup so wonderful!
4. Add 1-2 cans of cream of chicken (or you can do cream of mushroom)
5. Add broccoli, corn, peas, whatever.

At this point, I decide if I need more liquid.  If I do I typically just add milk.   If you want it creamier, add that cream of chicken. I almost always use 2 cans.  If by day two the noodles have absorbed all the liquid, then add more milk.  You can add some flour and flour to the soup to make it thicker, but I typically just add a can of cream of chicken.

No comments: