Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Abby's Birth Story

I need to write this story down before I forget it.  
Sunday, St. Patricks Day, March 17th, we were in church and there were several times I noticed I was having cramps.  I didn't think it was the start of labor but I guess it was.  I had told several woman in church if I was here for yet another Sunday I would bring doughnuts and Cheetos so we could all eat and be happy together.  So I did... I brought doughnuts and we passed them around in Relief Society.  It was wonderful!

Then we went home and enjoyed a quite Sunday.  We went for a walk at about 3:00.  We ran into our friend Bethany who had her large fast dog with her.  I asked if I could hold the leash.  I noticed more cramps but didn't think much of it. 

We came home and had hot chocolate.  I had two big contractions and vocalized to Darren that these cramps were hurting.  I started to wonder if I was going to have this baby soon. 

By 6:00 PM I was starting to really ... hope.  I didn't want to be sure, because then the contractions would probably stop! We put the kids to bed at 7:00 and told them we might not be here in the morning.  But Grandma would be if we weren't.  

I started some laundry and ironed Darren's shirts.  I wanted to make sure everything was ready:)  I stepped outside in the back yard to call my mom and walk at 8:00 and told her the contractions were about 8-10 minutes apart.  But I assured her that it would probably be in the morning, and I was sure that this process would take hours and hours.  

At 9:00 Darren and I went out the front door and for thirty minutes we walked up the street three houses and then back down the street three houses... then Darren would check on the kids.  We only did this for 30 minutes because I was getting tired and the contractions were about 5-6 minutes apart by then.  I would have to stop and lean on my neighbors mailboxes when a contraction came. 

I finally told Darren I was too tried to walk all night and I was still sure this was going to be an all night thing.  so we went in and packed a bag for the hospital and then we tried to lay down and get some sleep for the night.  That lasted for about 10 minutes.  The contractions were getting stronger.  I love my hypnobirthing class I took.  I was able to relax and breath through the contractions.  At one point I thought I was going to throw up and ran to the bathroom.  At that point Darren said, I think we should call your mom, the last couple contractions have been 2 minutes apart.  

My mom was there so fast.  We walked out as she walked in.  I listened to my "Rainbow Relaxation" all the way to St. Marks.  The 15 minute drive seemed to go really fast for me, but I know Darren was really stressed and thought I was going to deliver in the car.  

I was still convinced I was hours and hours away from delivering.  I was worried I would get to the hospital and the contractions would stop and they would tell me I was at a 3 still and then send me home.  So I had Darren drop me off at the entrance... I walked myself in to Labor and Delivery. I refused the wheel chair.  The walk was only a 20 second walk but it took me about 5-6 minutes to do it.   I kept telling them I had to walk so I could keep the labor process going.  

I checked myself in. and walked to my room.  I told them I needed to go to the bathroom.  They didn't want to let me.  I was at a 7.5 dilated.  I was so relieved.  I wasn't at a 3 still! My midwife, Julie Frenette, was called and came running into the room 30 minutes later.  I was at a 9.5.  Time to push.  

My water never broke.  Julie kept trying to break it but Abby's head was too low.  I think that really helped lessen the pain of the contractions.  It finally broke as Abby was coming out.  

I checked into the hospital at 11:45 and Abby was born at 1:22 AM.  Darren was the best thing ever.  He helped me be calm through every contraction.  I held his hand and he rubbed my arm.  I never even opened my eyes through it all... I wish I had, but I was so focused I didn't.  

I remember laughing between some contractions. I said things like... Those are the funniest sounds I am making.  
I remember saying Julie, I don't like this pain.  
I remember thinking... this is silly, who likes pain, epidurals are just fine.  But there wasn't ever a point where I wanted an epidural.  

So three contractions, three pushes for each contraction and she was out.  I told myself, just focus and push and she will be out soon!  They did have to give me some oxygen because I wasn't breathing well and the baby needed more oxygen.  But she was fine. 

 After she came out I got to hold her and was really proud of myself.  I joined the cool club like my sisters.  If they could do it I wanted to be able to do it! Then I started shaking and was so cold.  I guess your body goes into shock a bit after something like that.  I ate and slept and was happy.





 Abby did have some blood and amniotic fluid in her lungs and they had to pump that out at the hospital.  But besides that, the hospital stay was nice.  I ate, slept, worked on nursing Abby and had visitors.  All in all, I would do a natural birth again any day.  I would also walk and be active during pregnancy.  I think it really helps!

7 lbs 4 oz
19 inches long


4 comments:

PamNoyes said...

Yeah I have been so eager to hear how it went, but don't want to bug a mama with a little one. Could I be a total pest and request the stats? ie. weight and height? You are amazing, I am so glad her birth went wonderfully!

Jenny Allen said...

Really great story! I hadn't heard some of those details. Like donuts at church, seriously! How could you not tell me these things! :)

Rachel said...

love it!!! what a beautiful birth story :) you and Darren are so amazing!

Clark Family said...

I love this! I got to have a little glimpse into your miracle. So glad I came over to read it. cool club and all...