Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Sunday, December 19, 2010

A fun weekend

We went downtown this week on a Tuesday. It was much less busy than a weekend, yet still very full! It was warm which made the whole experience more enjoyable. One youth group even gave us all hot cocoa and fresh doughnuts.
Here is the best story about our weekend.

We took the kids up skiing at Solitude. They did really well. So much so that Tyler went down a few blues. At the end of them he said his little legs were tired!

Ella was ready to take off the ski ropes from her back. We hold on to the ropes to slow her down. But she was ready to just work on skiing on her own. She and I skied several runs on the beginner hill alone. Then Darren and Tyler came over to see how she was doing. The time was now about 3:15 pm. (Ella usually naps around 1:30 every day)

Darren rode the lift up with her. He commented later that she was rather quiet as he talked to her. We get off the lift and start skiing down. I have to keep reaching out to her and slowing her down. She was just going so fast. Each time I grab her she kind of laid her head down on my out stretched arm. I didn't think much of it, just that she must love her momma! But by the third time of racing up to her and slowing her down , and the third time of her laying her head on my arm... it came together in my head. I bent down and look at her eyes through her googles. SHE WAS ASLEEP! Eyes closed and all!

I picked her up mid ski run and carried her down to the truck. Darren undid my skis and I walk her to the truck. We take off her hat, goggles, skis, boots, and coat and she doesn't even move. I lay her down and she sleeps!


Other news:
  • Darren has been skiing early mornings with a friend. Mike, his friend, calls the group he skis with the "Dawn Patrol". I will post a video of their fun adventures. Darren isn't actually in this video. But I think my husband is pretty cool for getting up at 5:00 AM and hiking up a mnt, skiing down and then heading into work!
  • I have been climbing still with my friend Ang. It reminds me that I can be a mom, a wife and still be Amy- having fun!
  • Tyler is working on Spanish still. He is also practicing the piano a lot.
  • Ella doesn't sleep in a crib anymore. She is almost three and I just felt guilty putting her in a crib. But in the last 7 days of no crib, she has taken two naps. She just doesn't want to nap anymore. We all pay for it around 5:30 when she falls apart!
  • I got to ski two runs on my own yesterday. Wonderful powder. Darren gave me his "old" skis. Wow! What a difference. I was skiing on skis that were only 9 years old but it was night and day difference with newer skis.

MERRY Christmas Everyone!
Or Happy (late) Hanukkah

5 comments:

Tina said...

That story is so crazy! I can't believe she fell asleep in the middle of all the action! I think is is so fun you guys do that together. What awesome memories you are making with your kids!

Corie said...

That is awesome! Ella is hilarious. Looks like you guys have been having lots of winter fun lately. See you soon for Christmas!

The Flat Broke Foodie said...

I want a friend to take me climbing!

pat balls said...

loved the video and pictures. Was that Tyler zipping by on his skies? I love to see your posts. Keep them up.

Rachel said...

that is a story that can be retold for many years. what a good little trooper is your Ella!