Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Telluride 2010 -Day 4: Ice Lakes

This is the only day with a lot of pictures. But I want to remember it well!

We decided to drive over a pass to get to a place outside of Silverton, CO
to do an amazing hike.

The adventure started here.
Driving out of Telluride to a small town call Ophir.
This is a photo of one of thousands of mines with the tailings
that were dumped out of the mine.
(the part of the rock they didn't want)
We drove down a nice road through beautiful trees.

Then got our first look of where we had to go.
I was so glad Darren was driving - I would have passed out half way across!

The road barely fit our truck. I can't even explain how I felt crossing that. So I wont try!

It was mostly the after thoughts that scared me.

1. I thought about that we need to make a will
2. We need to ask someone to be the caregivers of our children should we die young
3. I thought about the fact that I should have called my sister to tell her where we were going in case the people of Ophir find a beat up white truck with the license plates that start with 222 but they cant identify the bodies because they were so damaged in the roll down the complete drop off and the the truck burned up when the gas exploded!!!! ENOUGH!

Needless to say we drove all the way around when we went home,
forget trying to save half an hour!
At the top ...breathing
We were in the clouds!
And the other side was prettier but not a whole lot better.
This mnt is so steep there are avalanche shoots all down it.
This is the drop off! Really the other side was so much worse!!!
I might have been able to take two steps on the other side before I fell to my death
but this side was at least 7 or 8 steps before you died!
I was so happy to get out of the car.

We started the hike to Upper and Lower Ice Lakes.
Weather Forecast: Rainy with chance of lightening

Last year in Telluride we got caught in a quick summer storm. It wouldn't have been so bad, we had rain jackets, but last year.... we were above tree line when the storm came in. Within minutes we were engulfed. Lightening hitting all around us!

SO...

This year we were all ears!

Thankfully we made it to the top.
But not without being drenched in rain.
You can't even see the mnts in this picture.
I believe in prayer.
I prayed for safety and if possible a few minutes of sunshine.
As we were leaving (we were only on top long enough to take a few photos and listen for lightening- notice no trees!)....

but as we were leaving, it cleared up for a few minutes.
The miners had it very rough 100 years ago,
but they had it rough in a very beautiful place.
The ruins of a mining shack
All told- 2500 feet of elevation gain in 3 miles. And we were hiking morph speed!
We were tired and wet.

A quite drive home, a hot shower, and some yummy mexican food helps everything.

4 comments:

Corie said...

Those lakes look beautiful. Really breathtaking. Nolan and I will have to head to Telluride sometime, I think. I love the picture with Darren in it. That looks like his version of heaven. :) I'm glad you two had a nice trip. That's becoming a tradition for you - better do it again next year.

pat balls said...

Looks like you had a great time. It was a few years ago but do you remember when we went on the train ride from Durango to Silverton. Mabey you are loving this because we took you all around that area when you were little. Glad you had such a good time.

Rachel said...

i'm overwhelmed with your adventures. i'll have to finish reading the rest later. you guys are amazing!

Jenny Allen said...

i call dibs on the kids. :) but maybe it would be better if you go around threatening to kill yourselves. You guys make me nervous with your adventures.