Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Darrens accident

We had a fun weekend planned... Outside movie night with friends on Friday night.  But it rained and poured so we did it in side.  Still great fun talking with friends and kids hung outside with glow sticks and popcorn downstairs.  Then Saturday Darren planned to ride at Wheeler Farm to train for his upcoming cycle cross season.  Then head to Ogden to ride some fun trains with Grandpa and Grandma.  Then go to a work swimming party at some good friends house.  On Sunday we had dinner with friends.  Well... we made it to Darren's ride then STOPPED!
I called Darren on his phone.  The code I had told him was that I would call two times back to back so he didn't have to answer the phone while riding but would know it was time to come home so we could go to the trains.  I hung up after the second ring and took another bite of my breakfast.   seconds later Darren calls me, but it isn't Darren.  I hear Darren in the distance saying over and over again, Where am I, What happened, I dont understand, Where am I... over and over again.  I start saying, Darren is that you, Darren whats going on, and a voice comes on line and says, I am officer so and so, your husband has been hit by a car and needs to be taken to the hospital immediately.  The ambulance is on their way now, can you come be with him.... UM YES!!!!  
(Check out that ?Cool? screen saver)

I sprinted to my neighbors and said, Darren has been hit by a car on his bike, can you go watch my kids?  I grabbed the keys and my wallet and jumped in the car.  As I was running to the truck in the driveway I heard the ambulance sirens flying by.  I had to pull over two times on they way to him because policemen with sirens were flying by.  I could see the accident site but couldn't get there fast enough.  There were three cars pulled over.  an ambulance and the road was shut down in one lane.  Strangely enough I was worried but I knew he would be fine.  I felt the Lord calming me throughout the whole two days.  
Darren had been almost home, just a mile away when a very nice girl had looked down at her phone because she was lost.  She looked at Google maps and as she looked at it, she crossed the white line and crossed over to the shoulder of the road where Darren was riding home.  Her passenger side mirror hit him first in his lower back.  Some other part of him then hit her car and he started flipping.  He ended up skidding feet first on his right side for quite a distance.  His helmet saved his life.  It was dripping red blood.  His biking shoes are worn through in a few spots were he slid so far, and his back and tail end took the brunt of the road rash.   
He was out cold for 3 minutes.  Probably the longest three minutes for the girl who hit him.  To see so much blood and have him not responding.  I cant even imagine.  When he came too he was out of it.  Repeating the same phrases over and over.  He didn't recognize me at all.  The put him in the ambulance and off he zoomed to IMC.  I was fine for about 5 minutes of the drive then I became slightly disoriented.  I felt like life was going in slow motion. I wasn't sure where I was going.  oh my!  But I got to the hospital.  Ang showed up soon after to rub my back.  I remember her touch and it keep bringing me back to reality.  


After a CT scan I got to back to see him.  I recall lost of blood by his head.  He continued to ask the same questions. and slowly asked a few more.  Like- What is going on in life... what month is it, what day of the week is it.  He was really glad when he remembered that Point2Point was the previous weekend and he had already finished that race. 

So to sum it up.  He was in the hospital for less than 2 days.  He was able to walk out on his own on Sunday evening.  Lots of road rash and a very hurt shoulder which will hopefully heal on its own. He missed a few days of work. Continues to sleep, but just ok.... but miraculously is ok.  Doing well.  







1 comment:

Rachel said...

oh, I have comments. you are a good writer. I got chills reading that. ugh. so glad that he is strong and a survivor.