Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Seasons and a Big Moose


One of the great things about living in Utah (besides being so close to the mountains) is seasons. I went mountain biking at Solitude with Nolan the other day and the leaves were starting to change... so this evening we decided to go for a little walk/hike in Big Cottonwood Canyon.





It really was a perfect evening.
















On our way back to the car we ran into a moose. She was about 20 yards off the trail. Like all moose, she wasn't scared of us and didn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere. We decided to keep on moving to get past her as it was getting dark. We passed her and Amy, Tyler and Ella kept walking as I paused to take these pictures.



As I was looking through the view finder to take this picture (trying to get the shutter speed and aperture correct) I noticed she appeared to be looking at me. The picture isn't perfect as I decided it was time for me to leave... well so did she. As I looked up from my camera she began to trot towards me. (I don't know if moose can run or not but with that long of stride the trot is pretty fast). I caught up to Amy, Tyler and Ella about 50 yards down the trail, picked up Tyler and told Amy that we had better run for a little bit as the moose might be angry. (About now I was praying that she didn't have any youngsters up there and if she did that we were not between them and her.) After we had ran for about another 100 yards or so we stopped, I set Tyler down and as I was telling Amy I think we are OK we hear branches cracking behind us. You guessed it, there she was again about 20 yards behind us. By now the adrenaline was really pumping. I grabbed Tyler and off we ran down the trail. Another 200 yards or so of running and we hear branches breaking right next to us on the trail. I'm now hoping that it's not a baby moose and thinking to myself how I can get her to chase after me so Amy can make it down to the car with the kids. About that time Amy yells back it was only a couple of deer. We had finally lost her, or probably more realistically she had decided we were no longer a threat. Anyway we made it back to the car safely, and Tyler now has a really cool story to tell all his friends and family.

10 comments:

Whitney B. Balls said...

Wow..when Jason told me what happened I was totally floored. Way to protect your family Darren! I am glad you guys are all safe. I am sure that is something none of you will forget.

J. Doug said...

Wow that is awesome.... that you made it out alive! Very cool and good pictures.

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Scary! I'm glad the moose didn't catch up to you guys. Way to think fast. PS sorry the deleted comment was me. I was signed in as Jake.

k8theriver said...

you are so noble.
pretty scenery.

PamNoyes said...

Wow! That is a good story and fabulous pictures! That is so beautiful! As nice as Spring is, it has nothing on Fall!

J. Doug said...

Oh I want a copy of that picture mirroring the trees/leaves in the lake. awesome.

Mary said...

I'm glad you're all safe. Amazing Pictures!

Corie said...

Santa vaca or should I say alces? What a story, I'm glad the moose didn't destroy you. Those are great pictures, you have inspired me to get out again and see the leaves.

*tif* said...

That was a scary story. You had my adrenaline running. I think everyone has to have a go at looking at a moose and having it chase you. What a fun hike it was anyway...well at least now that everyone is safe. THank Goodness!