Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Amy's First Tour

Lately, I seem to be doing a lot of things I have never done before.

On Saturday I went on my first "Tour". We- Ang, Josh, Darren and I- started hiking at the base of Alta Ski Resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

I found it amazing that as I hiked up the mnt side- the velcro like "skins" on the bottom of my skis kept me from sliding back down the mnt.

That is part of Alta Ski Resort in the background.
This is us at the top. It took almost 2 hours to hike up this mnt. Most of which was due to my slowness because every time you had to turn and do a switch back on the mnt, I would start slipping back down the mnt.
I got better at my turns, but it was harder than it looks to be facing one direction then turn your skis totally around and face the other direction and zig zag up the steep mnt.
This is what we just hiked up. That is the lodge at Alta on the left side of the picture. This picture did the hike up no justice, but I was too tired to walk back over to the edge and get a better shot.
This is what we saw when we got to the top.
Wonderful fresh powder. There were a few lines from other skiers who had previously skied down but we had fresh tracks where we chose to drop in.
We skied from the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon, through lots of great backcountry wonderland, all the way to our other car parked in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Definitely some work to get up the mnt to where the fresh snow was, (and some lower back pain on my part) but wow, when you get up there and see quiet, untouched beauty all around you... wow. wow. and wow again.

2 comments:

Ang said...

I haven't been that happy in a while. That was so great! Thanks for the pics Amy. And good work!

pat balls said...

Was that an old fashion Kick turn? You probably don't believe that I use to ski. But I would never have dared try that.