Winter 2020

Winter 2020

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Escalante Zebra and Tunnel

After hiking in the heat for 6.3 miles no one wanted to attempt another hike...6.8 miles in the heat.. the second day.  I was able to convince a few fun people to come with me at 5:00 AM to hike in and out.  They were full of energy and so we zipped along.  (My girls were amazing and stayed back at the campground and cleaned up.)  Zebra Canyon was spectacular.  I am so glad I got to see it.  Both canyons are so short.  Its the approach that is long.  Zebra canyon was so skinny you couldn't even fit through it.  You had to stem the walls.








I absolutely loved the Moki Rocks- They were amazing.
Moqui marbles (sometimes spelled Moki) are also known by collectors by many other names—Navajo cherries, Navajo berries, Kayenta berries, Entrada berries, Hopi marbles, Moqui balls, or Shaman stones. Geologists call them iron concretions.




We hiked back over to Tunnel canyon.  Short and sweet.  Nothing outstanding but fun to see.  Top is pretty much shut and the bottom is wider.  We didn't have any water in it like it usually does.  
We wanted to stick together as a family and since some people hadn't done the Escalante Natural Bridges we headed back there.  I took some kids and explored the other way.  I was hoping to find some swim holes but no luck.  We did see some old homes up in the red rocks.




One the way home my parents, the Thomas's and my crew stopped in at Willis Creek near Bryce.  There wasn't much water at this time of year.  We were all hot and tired so we only went in a mile or two.






No comments: